As we near the end of Men’s Health Month (June), we want to take time to highlight the important connection between good grooming, personal success, and health, as it pertains to men. Yes, we said men. Men can sometimes be known as “grooming slackers” because grooming is not always on the top of their list of manly activities. But unless you are Tarzan, or you happen to be returning from a climbing expedition on Mt. Everest, it’s important for you embrace the new grooming basics. These basics support your look, your health, your success and even your sexy.
Today men are more aware of the importance of healthy grooming habits, but can still be slow to embrace them. Good grooming often goes hand in hand with good health. US Family Health Plan – a TRICARE Prime health option – is all about helping our men stay in tip-top shape – for the job, for the family and for themselves. So today, we are highlighting the 5 most important grooming habits men need to know to stay your manly best.
- Know How to Wash and Condition Your Face. Sometime men in a hurry take a quick shower and just throw some soap on their face before they rush out the door. However, soap, body gels or body scrubs are the wrong products to use on your face. Different parts of the body have different types of skin. While using regular body soap on your face may be faster and cheaper, it strips the facial skin of important moisture and emollients, leaving it dry and irritated. Today, there is a wide choice of men’s facial cleansers and moisturizers that are designed to support the right PH balance and moisture levels for your face. Try them. It will only make you look and feel better and give you a healthier glow.
- Brush and Floss After Every Meal. Most men know how to wield the mighty toothbrush, but too often, flossing is overlooked. Brushing and flossing after every meal, or at least twice a day, is important for your oral hygiene and your overall health. By adding flossing to your regimen, you can get between teeth to remove particles of food that may have become trapped. Flossing supports gum health to help prevent periodontal disease and gingivitis, which can lead to more serious heart disease and dementia, among other things. And remember, keeping your teeth clean helps you keep that strong, beautiful smile going for years and a full set of teeth. Taking care of your mouth is one of the most important things you can do for yourself every day, and it makes for having great breath too.
- Pick the Right Underwear. With so many types of underwear to choose from these days, make sure you pick underwear that is comfortable for you. Try to opt for comfort over style. This can make a difference in your life. Comfort first, my friend. Wearing a fresh, clean pair of comfortable underwear every day, will afford you the roominess you need to be at your best all day long. Uncomfortable or dirty underwear can cause irritation and/or possible odor, it also can affect your mood and temperament. Great underwear fit can be a game changer so embrace it.
- Try a Massage Once a Month. Many men may be reluctant to get a massage, because it is considered un-masculine. A good deep body massage, however, is known to be therapeudic. It can help relieve stress and support muscle, circulation and bone health. While workouts are a great way to stay fit, massages can help your bones and muscles stay healthy. This in turn can help you do the workouts you want to do over the course of a lifetime. As we age, our bones and muscles may grow weaker, sometime resulting in chronic back pain or other bodily ailments. A monthly trip to the masseuse, as well as important stretch exercises, can help keep muscles stay in good working condition. You will notice how rejuvenated you feel after a great massage and how ready you feel to take on the world.
- Keep your Nails and Hair in Order. Many men fail to realize is that people do check out your hair and your nails. How you keep them speaks volumes about your
personality. These are two of the most important grooming areas that men can pay more attention to if they want to enhance their look and come across as well put together. And believe it or not, keeping your hair and nails groomed is also healthy. Clean and trimmed nails and hair help prevent conditions that can lead to bacteria or fungus taking hold on your skin. And they help protect you from germs that cause colds and viruses. While you probably can do most of what you need to do right at home, treat yourself to an occasional trip to the barber or check out the local nail salon if you think toe nails are unsightly. You will feel better for the effort.
With these 5 handy grooming tips in hand, you can take on the world by storm and stay healthier while you're at it. US Family Health Plan wants you to put your best foot forward (no pun intended) in all situations, but most importantly with regard to your health. As we say good-bye to Men’s Health Month, we say it hoping you will say hello to health – in every area of your life.